Barbecue Bourbon Sticky Chicken Wings - BBQ Chicken Wings with Sticky Bourbon Basting!!!
Recipe type: Chicken / Poultry / Barbecue
Bourbon chicken wings can be done on the barbecue or in the oven.... no matter which way, these bourbon sticky chicken wings are outstanding and will have your friends and family lining up for more.
- 18 - 24 Full chicken wings
- 2 Onions chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic chopped
- 250ml Bourbon
- 500ml Tomato puree
- 80ml Cider vinegar
- 80ml Worcestershire sauce
- 125ml Sticky brown sugar (Demarara or treacle)
- 5ml Tabasco sauce
- 10ml Coarse salt
- 10ml Cracked black pepper
- Starting with the marinade, saute the onions and garlic in a pan over medium heat for 5 minutes until they are tender and translucent.
- Pour in the bourbon and continue to fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the Tabasco, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt, cracked black pepper and tomato puree.
- Mix this all together thoroughly and continue to simmer the sauce for a further 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside to cool while you continue with the wings.
- Cut the the wingtips from the wings and transfer the wings to a large non-reactive pan. Pour the bourbon sauce over the wings evenly so that everything is covered.
- Place the wings in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Barbecue the wings over high heat for 16 minutes, turning every 4 minutes and basting at every turn with the remaining sauce.
- If you prefer to use your oven, place the pan in your preheated oven at 180c or 350f for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve the wings to platters with the accompaniments of your choice and serve immediately.