Home Made All Natural Cough Drops - Home Made Cold & Flu Remedy - Throat Lozenges
Recipe type: Cold and Flu Remedy / Sweets
With winter just around the corner everyone is getting the coughs and sniffles. For the first time in the history of our channel, we have guest chef, my sister-in-law, Eileen here to show us how to make the most amazing all-natural cough drops to combat these winter ailments.
- 100ml Water
- 30ml Honey
- 1 Cup sugar (brown granulated)
- 5ml Ground cinnamon
- 10ml Ground ginger
- 30ml Fresh lemon juice
- 1.25ml Roughly crushed cloves
- Measure out the water, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, roughly crushed cloves, honey and lemon juice.
- Place all of the ingredients in a medium sized pot. A small pot will not do, as the mixture bubbles up during cooking and may overflow. Not only could this be dangerous, but it definitely would be very messy.
- You will also need 2 x 20 hole chocolate molds. Rub these with a light coating of cooking oil.
- Place the pot over high heat and stir initially until everything is combined.
- Bring this to a rapid boil, stirring every 60 seconds, making sure to scrape down the sides of the pot. Continue to boil for 5 minutes. The mixture will darken significantly during this time.
- After 5 minutes, stir briefly and drop a little of the mixture into cold water. Give it 5 seconds to cool and pick it up with your fingers. If it is still gooey, then it's not ready. Give it another 30 seconds and test again. This time you will see that it sets hard as soon as I pick it up.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir the mixture until the bubbling subsides.
- Using a pointed spoon, start filling the molds. Once all the recesses are filled, put these aside to set at room temperature. Don't be tempted to set the in your refrigerator as the drops will turn to toffee. Depending on the weather, it can take from 30 minutes to a few hours to set.
- Once set, sprinkle a sheet with icing sugar and pop the drops out of the mold onto the sheet. Sprinkle more icing sugar on top of this. Transfer the drops to a container and shake them up to get an even coating of sugar. The sugar prevents the drops from sticking together.
- These drops can be stored indefinitely until required.