Home Made Romany Creams - How to Make Romany Creams - Chocolate Cookies
Recipe type: Cookies / Baking
Cuisine: South African
Romany Creams are legendary cookies with creamy milk chocolate, coconut and a crisp crunchiness that cannot be described.
- 375g Butter, softened
- 325g Sugar
- 125ml Boiling water
- 40g Cocoa powder
- 425g Self-raising flour
- 160g Desecated coconut
- 250g Cornflakes, crushed
- 300g Milk chocolate
- Place the sugar and butter in your mixer bowl. Run the mixer on medium high for about 2 minutes until these are well creamed, scraping down the side of the bowl halfway through.
- Dissolve the cocoa powder in the hot water and add this to the bowl and continue to mix this for a further minute until totally combined.
- Place the flour, crushed cornflakes and coconut in a large mixing bowl and pour in the chocolate butter mixture. Mix this by hand or machine until you have a thick chocolate batter.
- Line 3 to 4 baking sheets with baking parchment. Scoop heaped teaspoons of the batter up, roll them into balls, place them on the sheets and flatten them into rounds using the back of a fork. Leave a half inch of space between each cookie to allow for rising and spreading. Bake the cookies in a preheated oven at 180c for 12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to racks.
- While the cookies cool, melt the chocolate in your double boiler, or gently in your microwave oven.
- Working with one cookie at a time, spread a generous amount of the chocolate onto the smooth side of the cookie. Place another on top of this and put the completed Romany Cream aside to set. Continue until all of the cookies are complete.
- Once the chocolate has set, you can store these priceless items in an air-tight container indefinitely until required. This recipe will yield about 40 of these amazing treats.