The Amazing Gourmet Schnitzel Hot Dog. This is for HUNGRY Hot Dog Fans!!! Gourmet Hot Dog Recipe.
Recipe type: Fast Food
Today we're taking yesterday's schnitzel even further from the traditional version. A footlong sausage wrapped in cheese, schnitzel and bacon, pan-fried to golden crispy perfection, then served on a length of fresh French loaf. Gourmet Hotdog Deluxe!!!
For 2 Gourmet Hot Dogs
- 2 x 12 inch Smoked Vienna sausages
- 2 x Chicken breasts
- 6 Slices streaky bacon
- 40g Mozzarella cheese, finely shredded
- 1 x 24 inch French loaf
- ⅓ Small lettuce
- Condiments of your choice to garnish
- Using sharp knife, slash angled cuts into both sides of the sausages.
- Unpack the smoked streaky bacon.
- To prepare the chicken, cut away the fillets from the breasts. Fold them in cling-wrap and using your meat mallet, tap them down to a thickness of 3mm or ⅛th of an inch.
- Working with one schnitzel at a time, turn the schnitzel width-ways and sprinkle half of the finely shredded cheese over the chicken.
- Place the sausage in the center and proceed to roll the chicken around the sausage as firmly as possible.
- Place a strip of bacon at a slight angle above the chicken. Roll this up with the chicken so that it spirals along the chicken. Repeat this with another 2 slices of bacon until the chicken is totally wrapped in bacon.
- Repeat this with second dog.
- Before frying the dogs, finely slice a third of a small lettuce.
- Cut the French loaf in half. This is a store-bought loaf, and the cheese had already been added, however, you can use any loaf of your choosing, provided it is large enough to accommodate these huge dogs.
- Slice through the tops of the half-loafs leaving the bottoms intact.
- Fill each half-loaf with half of the shredded lettuce.
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat and add 30g of butter. Fry the dogs for 3 minutes per side, remembering that they have 4 sides, giving you a total of 12 minutes.
- Transfer the crispy golden dogs to the 2 half-loaves and garnish with condiments of your choice.