Wild Boar Pie - Rich Venison Pie - Part 2 - How to Assemble & Bake Your Game Meat Pie
Recipe type: Venison / Pork / Pies
Yesterday we made the amazing filling for our wild boar pie. In today's episode we'll assemble the pies and bake them to golden perfection.
- 1 x Batch wild boar pie filling from our last episode
- 1 x Batch flaky pastry or 2 rolls store-bought puff pastry
- 1 Egg beaten with 50ml water
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- Roll out your pastry and cut the lids about 1cm bigger all round than the top of the foil. You can use store bough pastry, but I urge you to try our flaky pastry recipe.
- Take another sheet of pastry and drop it over the top of one the foils. Press it lightly into the foil. Don't be too worried if it doesn't stay entirely in place.... the weight of the filling will sort this out.
- Spoon filling into the pie until just below the top edge. Brush the pastry with egg wash, place the lid on top and lightly run over this with your rolling pin to secure.
- Trim off the edges neatly with a sharp thin blade, then pattern the edges with the tines of a fork.
- Use a skewer to poke and enlarge 3 breather holes in the lid, then brush the lid with more egg wash. I like to season this with salt and cracked black pepper, but this is entirely up to you.
- Continue until all of your pies are assembled.
- Bake the pies in a preheated oven at 200c or 400f for 30 minutes and the pies are beautifully golden.
- Remove the pies from the oven and serve immediately with the accompaniments of your choice.