Brandy Cake!!! Soft Sponge Filled with Nuts & Dates, Soaked with Brandy Syrup.
Recipe type: Dessert
This brandy cake is legendary, but certainly not to be served at children's parties.
For the Cake
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup sugar
- 125g Butter, at room temperature
- 1½ Cups all-purpose flour
- 5ml Baking soda
- 2.5ml Baking powder
- 1.25ml Salt
- 1 Cup chopped, pitted dated
- ½ Cup chopped assorted nuts
For the Brandy Syrup
- 60ml Brandy
- 125ml Water
- 250ml Sugar
- 15ml Butter
- 2.5ml Vanilla extract
- Measure out the flour, sugar, butter at room temperature, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chopped pitted dates and chopped assorted nuts.
- In addition you will need 2 large eggs a cup of boiling water.
- Place the butter and sugar in you mixer bowl and allow the machine to run until this is soft and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat these in well.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the egg mixture and stir this until well combined.
- Pour in the chopped nuts and mix these in thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, pour the boiling water over the dates. Add the baking soda and let this bubble. Pour the date mixture into the batter and mix this all together well.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased baking pan, a pan of about 8 inch or 200mm square will work fine.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 180c or 350f for 30 to 40 minutes until a skewer pressed into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake bakes, let's make the brandy syrup. Combine the sugar, water and butter in a saucepan. Bring this to a boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the vanilla and brandy.
- Pour this over the cake as soon as it comes from the oven.
- Allow this cool in the pan before serving with whipped cream.