Snack Platter Catering - Part 19 - Mini 5 Spice Pork Pies. Delicious Cocktail Pork Pie Finger Food!!!
Recipe type: Finger Foods / Cocktail Snacks / Pork Pies
These miniature 5 spice pork pies are a perfect compliment to any cocktail party.
- 2 x Pork knuckles, smoked or plain
- 2 Whole star anise
- 2 Tsp Whole Szechuan pepper corns
- 2 Tsp Ground cinnamon
- 2 Tsp Ground ginger
- 2 Tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 Tsp Whole cloves
- 1 Liter chicken stock
- 150ml Light soy sauce
- Water to cover
For the Sauce / Gravy
- 200ml of the cooking liquid, strained
- 50ml Hoisin sauce
- 15ml Tapioca flour dissolved in a little water
- Slice through the skin and flesh along both thin edges of the pork knuckles. I am using smoked knuckles, but you can use plain as well if you prefer.
- Place the knuckles in a large pot and add the start anise, Szechuan pepper, cinnamon, ground ginger, fennel seeds and whole cloves.
- Pour in the stock and the light soy sauce, then top up the pot with water until pork is just covered.
- Bring the pot to a boil, reduce the heat and allow this to simmer for 3 and a half hours.
- Once the time is up, remove the knuckles from the pot. You will notice that the meat is literally falling from the bone.
- Peel away the skin and pull all of the flesh from the bone. Using 2 forks, shred the pork finely.
- To make the sauce or gravy, strain off 200ml of the liquid from the pot into a small saucepan. Add the hoisin sauce and the dissolved tapioca flour.
- Heat the saucepan over medium heat until it boils. Lower the heat and simmer for another minute or 2 until it has thickened to the consistency of a gravy.
- Transfer the shredded pork to a mixing bowl and pour in the sauce. Mix this in thoroughly, then let it cool completely.
- To make up the pies, roll the pastry out to a thickness of 3 mm or 1 eight of an inch.
- Cut circles of 10cm or 4 inches in diameter from the pastry.
- Dip your finger in a bowl of water and wet the edge of one of the circles. Place a heaped fork of the pork in the center of the pastry.
- Use the fork to lift one edge of the pastry and fold this over the filling. Use your fingers to lightly seal the edge of the pie.
- Repeat this until all of the pies are formed.
- At this stage, you can freeze the pies in an airtight container separated by sheets of baking paper.
- To bake the pies from fresh or frozen, preheat your oven to 200c or 400f.
- Transfer the pies to a lightly greased baking sheet and brush them with the egg wash.
- Bake the pies for 20 minutes until golden.
- Remove the pies from the oven, transfer them to platters and serve immediately.