Snack Platter Catering - Part 13 - Deep Fried Mussel Puffs. Crispy Deep-Fried Mussels!!!
Recipe type: Finger Food / Snack Food / Superbowl Food / Seafood / Entre's
Deep fried mussels in a light, crispy batter will have everyone lining up for more. This recipe is quick and easy and tastes like heaven.
- 90-120 Mussels, shelled and cleaned
For the Batter
- 150g All-purpose flour
- 75ml Tapioca flour
- 7.5ml Baking powder
- 2.5ml Salt
- 235ml Water
- 30ml Oil
- Place the all purpose flour, tapioca flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir these briefly to combine, then pour in the oil and water. Whisk this until it is smooth. Set this aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Pour the mussel meat out onto a dish towel and gently pat it dry. Thread the mussels onto toothpicks. The number of mussels on each skewer will vary depending on the size of the mussels. You want to fill just over half of each toothpick.
- Whisk the batter again briefly. Half fill a large pan with oil and heat it to 190c or 375f. Dip the mussel skewers in the batter to coat the mussel meat and carefully lower them into the oil.
- Allow the skewers to fry for 3 to 4 minutes until crisp and lightly golden. Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- This quantity of batter will allow you to make 40 to 50 skewers.
- Transfer the mussel puffs to platters and serve immediately.