Snack Platter Catering - Part 11 - Cocktail Bacon & Cheese Burgers!!!
Recipe type: Snack Food / Finger Food / Cocktail Party Food / Superbowl Food
Mini beef patties studded with mature cheddar and laminated in hickory smoked bacon - all of this on a fresh cocktail burger bun!!!
For 20 Cocktail Burger Buns
- 1 Batch quick burger bun dough (click here for recipe)
- 1 Egg yolk mixed with 1 Tbs water
- Poppy seeds and sesame seeds
For 20 Cocktail Bacon-Laminated Cheesy Beef Patties
- 900g Ground beef in 20 x 45g portions
- 100g Mature cheddar cheese cut into 1cm cubes
- Salt to taste
For the garnish
- Sliced pickled gherkin
- Baby spinach leaves
- Sliced tomato
- 20 Toothpicks
- Place the yeast in a mixing bowl and pour in the warm water and the sugar. Pour the oil in and set this aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes the mixture will be very frothy. Add the salt and lightly beaten egg and stir this in.
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and pour in the yeast mixture. Using a wooden paddle stir this together until a dough comes together and comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto s floured work surface, flour the top of the dough as well, then proceed to knead for 5 minutes sprinkling with a little more flour every time it gets too sticky.
- Once the dough is smooth and elastic, roll it into a sausage shape and cut it into 20 equal pieces.
- Roll the pieces into balls and transfer them to a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Brush the buns with an egg wash consisting of an egg yolk whisked together with a tablespoon of water.
- Sprinkle the tops of the buns with sesame seeds and poppy seeds and bake the buns in a preheated oven at 220c or 425f for 8 to 10 minutes until well risen and browned.
- Remove the buns from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- For the burger patties, cut the cheddar cheese into 1cm blocks or just less than half an inch, and cut the streaky bacon rashers into thirds.
- Portion the beef into 45g portions. Working with one portion, flatten it into a disc 1cm thick. Press a block of cheddar into the center of the meat.
- Lightly press a piece of bacon onto either side of the patty. The heat of the pan will laminate the bacon to the beef and contain the melted cheese.
- For the garnish, slice a pickled gherkin at an angle, trim the stems from a handful of baby spinach leaves, and slice 20 slices of tomato.
- In preparation, cut the buns and lightly butter both sides. Place a slice of tomato on each bun followed by a couple of spinach leaves.
- Heat your pan over medium high heat and fry the patties in batches for 3 minutes per side until well browned and the cheese is visibly melted inside the bacon and beef.
- Remove the patties from the pan and transfer a patty to each bun. Top each patty with a couple of slices of gherkin, put the lids on the burgers and secure them with toothpicks.
- Transfer the burgers to platters and serve immediately.