Snack Platter Catering Part 2 - Angels on Horseback (Bacon Wrapped Mussels / Oysters / Scallops)
Recipe type: Snacks / Cocktail Snacks / Finger Foods
Angels on Horseback are absolutely delicious, and so easy to make that they lend themselves perfectly to catering for larger numbers of people.
For 40 Angels on Horseback
- 20 Strips of streaky bacon
- 40 Fresh mussels (or oysters / scallops)
- 40 Toothpicks
- Fry the bacon over medium heat until it is lightly browned but not crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and allow it to coon for a few minutes, then cut it in half across the grain.
- Grab a half strip of bacon and one of the seafood pieces and wrap the bacon around the seafood. In this case I am using fresh mussels. Press a toothpick through the overlap of bacon to secure it in place. Continue until all of the skewers are done.
- Place the angels in a roasting tin and grill them on the second highest rack in you oven until well browned and crispy. Turn the skewers over and grill the other side until crispy.
- By grill, I mean using the top element of your oven on maximum temperature, which is normally 250c.
- The grilling is pretty quick, so be sure to keep a watchful eye on your creation so that it does not burn.
- Remove the angels from the oven, transfer to platters and serve hot or cold, although I must add that they are better on the hot side.