Chicnese-Style Pulled Pork. Succulent Flavor-Potted Pulled Pork, Served in a Top-Hat Pie!!!
Recipe type: Pork
Pulled Pork is an all-time favorite. It is extremely versatile and can be served on burger buns, sandwiches and in a hundred other ways. In this demonstration, I make Chinese flavor-potted pulled pork and serve it with golden crispy flaky pastry as a top-hat pie!!!
- 2 Pork knuckles - total 1.5kg
For the Flavor Pot Ingredients
- 2 Whole star anise
- 2 Tsp Szechuan peppers
- 2 Tsp Ground cinnamon
- 2 Tsp Ground ginger
- 2 Tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 Tsp whole cloves
- 1 Liter chicken stock
- 150ml Light soy sauce
- Water to cover
To make the Sauce
- 200ml of the flavor pot liquid
- 50ml Hoisin sauce
- 1 Tsp Tapioca or cornflour mixed with a little water
- 2 Rolls Puff pastry
- Take 2 pork knuckles, pickled and smoked, or plain, an cut down to the bone on both sides of each knuckle.
- Measure out a liter of chicken stock, and combine the star anise, Szechuan peppers, ground cinnamon, ginger, fennel seeds, cloves and cardamom.
- Place the pork knuckles in a pot, pour in the spice mixture and the stock. Pour in just enough water to cover the knuckles.
- Bring the pot to boil, reduce the heat and allow this simmer, partially covered, for 3 and a half hours.
- Remove the knuckles from the pot and transfer them to a chopping board. You will notice that they are fall off the bone tender.
- Pull the skin from the pork and the flesh from the bone. Using 2 forks, pull the pork flesh into shreds.
- Remove 200ml of the flavor pot sauce. Mix 1 teaspoon of tapioca or cornflour with a little water and stir this in. Measure 50ml of hoisin sauce and stir this in thoroughly.
- Transfer the sauce to a small saucepan and bring this to a boil. Allow it to boil for 60 seconds until thickened then remove from the heat.
- Pour half of the sauce into the pork and stir this in to glaze all of the meat. Keep the remaining sauce warm.
- Roll out your puff pastry and using a bowl as a template, cut rounds from the pastry.
- Transfer the pastry to a lightly greased baking sheet and glaze the rounds with and egg wash of 1 egg yolk mixed with a tablespoon of water.
- Bake the pastry according to the package instructions.
- To assemble the dish, place a round of puff pastry on the plate. Top this with a portion of pulled pork and drizzle this with some of the remaining sauce.
- Top the pork with another round of pastry and serve immediately with the accompaniments of your choice.