How to Make Lavash. Crispy Middle Eastern Flat-Bread. Homemade Lavash Recipe.
Recipe type: Flat Bread / Crackers
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Lavash is a middle eastern flat bread that has become quite popular in the west on snack platters served with a variety of dips.
- 1 Tsp Dried yeast
- 1 Tsp Honey
- 125ml Warm water
- 185g All-purpose flour
- 2 Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Ground hot paprika
- ¼ Tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 Egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbs seeds (poppy, sesame, caraway)
- Combine the yeast, warm water and honey in a jug. Allow this to stand for 15 minutes until frothy.
- While the yeast matures, combine the flour, salt, ground hot paprika and cayenne pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Add the frothy yeast to the bowl. Using a wooden paddle stir this into the dry ingredients until a dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead it for 2 minutes until smooth. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and place it in your refrigerator for 45 minutes to firm up.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide it in half. Flatten one half and flour the outside if it is sticky. Pass it through your pasta roller on the widest setting. Fold it in half and pass it through again. Repeat this until the dough is silky smooth. Rub a little flour into the surface every time it becomes sticky.
- Reduce the thickness of the rollers by one step, pass the dough through, then another step and so on, until you reach number 5 on the machine.
- Dust both sides of the pastry with flour and put this aside while you roll out the second strip of pastry.
- Cut the pastry into triangles across the width of the pastry.
- Transfer the triangles to a lightly greased baking sheet and brush them with the egg white. Sprinkle the seeds of your choice onto the lavash.
- Using a fork prick holes into the pastry triangles. The closer you make the holes, the crispier and flatter the breads will be. If you make the holes further apart, the lavash will be lighter and airier, with bigger rising bubbles. The choice is yours.
- Bake the lavash in a preheated oven at 180c or 350f for 10 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot or cold with the dipping sauces of your choice. In our serving we have uses our creamy lambs liver pate.