Passionate Mussel Chowder - Valentine's Special Part 3. Thick, Creamy & Spicy Mussel Chowder.
Recipe type: Seafood /Soup
Mussel chowder has long been a favorite seafood dish. This spicy mussel chowder is the perfect way to win hearts.
- 200g Streaky bacon
- 30g Butter
- ½ Cup chopped onion
- ¼ Cup chopped celery
- ½ Cup chopped red pepper
- ½ Tsp Salt (only if your using low sodium stock, otherwise omit)
- ¼ Tsp Cayenne pepper
- ¼ Cup all-purpose flour
- 600ml Chicken stock
- ½ Tsp Vietnamese fish sauce
- ⅓ Cup cream
- 400g Fresh mussel meat
- Worcester sauce and Tobasco sauce
- Smoked or plain paprika
- Slice the bacon thinly across the grain, then dice the onion, red pepper and celery. Measure out the rest of the ingredients and your ready to go.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and saute the bacon for 10 minutes to render the fat.
- Add the butter and stir this briefly until melted. Pour in the chopped onion, red pepper and celery and continue to saute this for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the cayenne pepper and salt. Only add the salt if you're using low sodium chicken stock, otherwise omit it from the recipe.
- Add the flour and stir until completely combined, then continue to saute for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and the fish sauce and stir this to combine. Bring this to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the mussels and stir these in, then add the cream. Stir until well combined and simmer this for a final 5 minutes.
- Splash with a dash of Worcester sauce and a dash of hot chilli / Tobasco sauce, stir these in and remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve the chowder to bowls. To garnish, cut a heart shape into a piece of foil. Hold the foil over the chowder and sprinkle a light coating of smoked or plain paprika over the stencil.
- Serve immediately with crusty farm bread.