Traditional Cape Malay Bobotie Samosas. Crispy, Spicy Bobotie Samosas Wrapped with Phyllo.
Recipe type: Curry
Cuisine: Cape Malay
Phyllo samosas filled with traditional Cape Malay Bobotie. In our previous episode we made perfect phyllo pastry. Here we use this phyllo to wrap tasty bobotie samosas.
- 500g Ground Beef or Lamb
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Slice white bread, crust removed, cut into blocks
- 120ml Milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ Tbs Sugar
- 15ml Lemon juice
- 1 Egg Lightly beaten
- 30g Butter
- To start, place the milk and bread in a jug and mash the bread into the milk until you have a paste. Set this aside.
- Heat a wok or pan over medium high heat. Add the butter and fry the onion for 6 to 8 minutes until soft and slightly browned.
- Add the ground beef and chop this into the onion. Minced meat has the tendency to clump when fried. You need to chop it apart to get a nice even texture.
- Once the mince is separated, add the garam masala, salt, cracked black pepper, sugar and lemon juice. Stir this in until combined.
- Add the milk bread paste and stir this in thoroughly, then remove the wok from the heat.
- Pour in the lightly beaten egg and stir this in. Set the pan aside to cool.
- Unpack your phyllo pastry and cut it into strips. The wider the strips, the larger your samosas will be. The size is entirely up to you, but whatever width you choose, the length must be 5 times that of the width. I have cut my strips to 90mm, and the corresponding length is 450mm.
- Brush a strip of phyllo lightly with the melted butter. Place a heaped tablespoon of the bobotie at the end of the phyllo.
- Fold the pastry at 45 degrees over the boboti, then fold it straight upward, then again at 45 degrees and so on, until the samosa is formed.
- Continue to form the remaining samosas.
- Cover a baking sheet in foil and lightly grease the foil. Transfer the samosas to the baking sheet and bake them in a preheated oven at 200c or 400f for 15 minutes until crispy and lightly golden.
- Remove the pastries from the oven and serve immediately with fruit chutney or mango atchar.