Deep Fried Cajun Calamari Rings. How to Make Crispy Deep-Fried Cajun Calamari.
Recipe type: Seafood
A while back we did a video on Crispy Deep-Fried Calamari. This recipe uses a totally different coating with cornmeal and Cajun spice. The result is an outstanding flavor explosion - crispy on the outside, meltingly tender on the inside.
- 500g Calamari Rings
- 1 Egg
- 240ml / 1 Cup Milk
- 60ml / ¼ Cup Fine cornmeal
- 180ml / ¾ Cup Plain flour
- ½ Tsp Baking powder
- 1½ Tsp Cajun spice (see below)
- ¼ Tsp Dried basil
- ½ Tsp Garlic salt
For the Cajun Spice
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 1 Tbs Onion powder
- 2 Tsp White pepper
- 2 Tsp Cracked black pepper
- 1½ Tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 Tsp Dried thyme
- ½ Tsp Dried oregano
- Mix the ingredients together and store in an airtight container
- Cut the calamari tubes into rings of ¼ inch or 6mm thick. Pat the rings dry and put them aside.
- To make the batter, whisk the egg and milk together in a jug.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the fine cornmeal, plain flour, baking powder, Cajun spice, dried basil and garlic salt.
- Pour half of the milk egg mixture into the bowl and mic this to a paste. Pour in the remaining milk and mix this to a batter. Allow this to stand for 30 minutes.
- Fill your pan with oil to a depth of 1 inch or 25 mm and heat this to 180c or 350f. Dip the calamari rings in the batter and carefully drop them into the oil.
- Fry the calamari for 3 minutes per side until lightly golden and crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove the rings, drain any excess oil on kitchen paper, then continue this process until all of the rings are fried.
- Transfer the rings to platters and serve with tartare sauce or our amazing Queso Blanco dip.