Butter-Fried Queso Blanco. Slices of Queso Blanco Fried until Golden, Topped with Heavenly Sauce.
Recipe type: Cheese
In our previous episode we made fresh queso blanco or Mexican white cheese. Today we're going fry slices of this cheese in butter until golden, then top it with rich combination of cocktail tomatoes, garlic, sliced pickled gherkin, capers and a unique instant ricotta.
- 2 x 20mm / ¾ inch Slices of Queso Blanco cheese
- 40g Butter
- 8 Cherry / cocktail tomatoes
- 1 Tbs Chopped garlic
- 1 Pickled Gherkin, sliced
- 2 Tbs Pickled capers
- 90ml Fresh cream
- Salt to taste
- Dried red chilli flakes to garnish
- Cut 2 slices of queso blanco from the center of the round of cheese. Cut them 20mm or ¾ inch thick.
- Measure out the garlic, butter, red chilli flakes, cream and capers.
- Slice the tomatoes in half length-ways, and slice the gherkins.
- Heat your pan over medium high heat, add the butter.
- Add the cheese to the pan and wipe it around in the butter to coat all over.
- Fry the cheese on the flat sides for 2 to 3 minutes until golden.
- Turn the cheese over and fry for a further 2 to 3 minutes until golden.
- By this stage, the cheese will have softened, so use a spatula to remove it from the pan to avoid damaging it.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and stir these around in the butter for 60 seconds.
- Add the garlic and stir this for further 15 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the capers and sliced gherkin and stir this briefly to heat it through.
- Pour in the cream. Almost immediately, you will see the cream react with the acid in the tomatoes, capers and gherkin.
- This reaction in combination with heat causes the cream to convert to full cream ricotta cheese instantly.
- Stir this briefly and remove the pan from the heat.
- Transfer the fried cheese to platters, top each with half of the sauce.
- Garnish the plates with a scattering of red chilli flakes and serve immediately.