Gourmet Russian Hotdogs. Footlong Russian Sausage Baked in Soft Flavored Dough.
Recipe type: Fast Food
These gourmet hotdogs are huge! A footlong Russian sausage is wrapped in a soft bun dough flavored with sun-dried tomato and parmesan cheese, then baked to golden perfection!
- 2 Footlong Russian sausages
- 2 Cups All-purpose flour
- 10g Instant yeast
- 7.5ml Salt
- 15ml Sugar
- 250ml Warm water
- 60ml Sun-dried tomato, finely chopped
- 30g Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ⅓ Cup All-purpose flour (to work the dough)
- Place the flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Mix them together briefly, then pour in the water. Mix this to a very soft and sticky dough.
- Add the chopped sun-dried tomato, shredded parmesan cheese and the oil.
- Mix this until totally combined, cover the bowl with cling-wrap and allow the dough to rise for 40 minutes in a warm place.
- After 40 minutes, the dough will be well risen and the gluten clearly visible. From the second batch of flour, lightly flour the work surface and turn the dough out.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with flour and start to work the flour into the dough. Continue sprinkling extra flour until all of the flour has been worked into the dough. The dough will be soft, smooth, and elastic.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a sausage of 10 inches long. Flatten the dough out until it is about 3 inches wide by 12 inches long, and oval in shape.
- Place a Russian sausage on the dough, lift the far edge of the dough over the sausage and stretch it down the other side.
- Lift the near side of the dough up and stretch over to enclose the sausage. The ends of the sausage will still protrude from the dough.
- Grease a piece of foil and transfer the dogs to the foil. Place the foil on top of a wire rack and using a sharp knife slash through the tops of the dogs at an angle, making sure to cut the dough and the sausage.
- Cover this with an upturned roasting pan and allow the dogs to rise for a further 20 minutes.
- Heat you gas barbecue or your oven to 180c / 350f and bake the dogs for 25 minutes and the rolls are lightly golden and sound hollow when tapped on the side.
- Remove from the barbecue or oven and serve immediately with the accompaniments of your choice.