Deep-Fried Burger Buns - South African Vetkoek, Crispy on the Outside, Soft on the Inside!!!
Recipe type: Bread, Burger Buns, Deep-fried
Cuisine: South African
Deep-Fried Burger Buns!!! In South Africa these crispy golden buns are called Vetkoek, and are filled with any number of tasty fillings. These buns also make fantastic burger buns with their crispy golden outside and soft moist inside.
- 500g Strong white flour
- 10g Instant yeast
- 10g Salt
- 10g White sugar
- 300ml Warm water
- Oil for deep-frying
- Add the flour, yeast, salt and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Stir these to combine and pour in the warm water.
- Using a wooden paddle, mix this until a dough comes together and it comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead the dough for 5 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Return the dough to the bowl, cover the bowl with cling-wrap and allow this to rise for 60 minutes in a warm place.
- After rising, punch the dough down and divide it in half for giant buns, quarters for large, eights for regular buns and sixteens for cocktail buns. In this demonstration I am making a mix of large, standard and cocktail sizes.
- Knead the pieces briefly and shape them into flattened balls. Transfer the buns to a greased baking sheet, cover with a damp tea towel and allow them to rise again for 20 minutes.
- Heat your oil to 180c or 350f and fry the buns in batches for 3 to 4 minutes per side and they are crispy and golden.
- Remove the buns from the oil and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper. Allow them to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting.
- To cut the buns, it is easier to punch a hole in the edge, then snip the crispy outside along the edge with your scissors to reveal the beautifully soft and moist inside.