Perfect Hotdog Rolls. Soft and Flavorful Hotdog Buns - Easy Recipe by Whats4Chow.com
Recipe type: Fast Food / Bread
Perfect Hotdog rolls / buns are really easy to make, and despite the long rising times are well worth the effort.
- 450g Strong white flour
- 200ml Warm water
- 25g Melted butter
- 50g Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Yeast
- Add the sugar and yeast to the warm water and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Allow this to rest for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat 1 egg and 1 additional egg yolk. Place the white of the second egg in a tumbler, add 4 tablespoons of water and whisk this together. Put this aside until later.
- In another bowl, melt the butter in your microwave.
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl, add the egg and egg yolk, salt, melted butter and the yeast mixture.
- Using a wooden paddle, mix this until a dough comes together and it all comes away from the side of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead it well for 10 minutes until it is very smooth and elastic. Sprinkle lightly with a little extra flour every time the dough becomes too sticky to handle.
- Return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover the bowl with clingwrap and allow the dough to rise for 60 minutes in a warm place.
- Once risen, turn the dough out and using your scale divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Lightly flour your work surface and press each piece out 3 inch by 5 inch rectangles.
- Fold the long side of the rectangle over the centerline, then the other log side over this. Turn the roll over and transfer it to a greased baking sheet. Repeat this until all of the rolls are formed.
- Place the rolls on the sheet with about half an inch or 12mm between them. Like this, as they rise they will support one another and rise upwards instead of sideways.
- Dust the tops of the rolls with flour, cover loosely with a damp tea towel and allow the rolls to rise again for 60 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 190c or 375f. Brush the rolls with the egg white mixture, then bake the rolls for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.