How to Make Deep-Fried Beetroot Crisps. Crispy Delicious Beetroot Chips - The Perfect Snack!
Recipe type: Vegetable / Vegetarian / Vegan / Snacks
The beetroot crisps / chips are delicious on their own, or served as an accompaniment or as an attractive and tasty garnish. They are quick and easy to make and cost a fraction of store bought crisps. Beetroot crisps will also be an interesting conversation piece at your next party, as almost no-one will have had them before!!!
- Fresh beetroot (as many as you need for your requirements)
- Oil for deep-frying
- Coarse salt and fresh rosemary to garnish
- Wash and dry the beetroot thoroughly, then top and tail them.
- Using a very sharp knife or a mandolin, cut the beetroot into thin slices of 1 to 2 mm in thickness.
- Fill a large pan with oil to a depth of 25mm or 1 inch and heat this to 170c or 325f.
- Carefully drop the slices one by one into the oil until the surface of the pan is covered in a single layer of frying beet.
- Fry the chips for 8 to 10 minutes until the surface of the crisps is bubbled. The slices will not crisp entirely until they cool, so at this stage, remove them from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Repeat this until all of your chips are cooked.
- As a serving suggestion, transfer the crisps to platters, sprinkle with a little coarse salt and some roughly chopped fresh rosemary.