How to Make Chicken Samosas From Scratch. Tasty Homemade Chicken Curry Samosa Recipe.
Recipe type: Indian Street Food
Samosas are a traditional Indian snack. Filled with anything from curried potato to spicy meats, these treats are easy to make. This demonstration will show yo how to make the pastry and the chicken curry filling, and how to fold the samosa.
For the Pastry
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 15ml Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- 200ml Water
For the Curry Chicken Filling
- 500g Skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 3 Tbs of your favorite curry powder
- 25ml Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the water and oil and mix this until a dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface and knead this for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Wrap the dough in cling wrap and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- For the curry chicken filling, cut the onions into half rounds, and slice the chicken thinly across the grain.
- Place the chicken in a mixing bowl and pour in 60ml of oil. Mix this in until everything is coated.
- Pour in the curry powder and mix this in until everything is coated, then put this aside.
- Heat your wok or pan over medium high heat, add 30ml oil and fry the onions for 8 to 10 minutes until well browned and caramelized. Remove these from the pan.
- Add the chicken to the wok and stir-fry this for 4 minutes until well browned and cooked through.
- Return the onion to the pan and stir-fry for a further 60 seconds to combine. Pour in the lemon juice, add salt to taste and mix this in.
- Remove the wok from the heat and put this aside to cool.
- Unwrap the dough and roll it into a sausage. Cut the sausage into 4 pieces. Roll each pieces into a sausage and cut each of these into 3.
- Working with one piece ate a time roll these into strips of approximately 75mm or 3 inches wide by 300mm or 12 inches long. Trim the edges to to square it off.
- Place 2 tbs of the chicken curry on one end of the pastry. Fold the corner over the curry, then continue folding until the end of the strip.
- Wet the end of the pastry and fold it over to seal. Repeat this until all of the samosas are formed.
- Fill your pan or wok with oil to a depth of 25mm or 1 inch and heat this to 190c or 375f.
- Carefully lower a few samosas into the oil and fry these for 3 minutes per side until crisp and golden. Remove and drain on kitchen paper, then repeat until all the samosas are fried.
- Transfer the samosas to platters and serve immediately.