Sweet Potato Fritters. Delicious Fritters as Dessert or an Accompaniment to the Main Course.
Recipe type: Vegetable / Potato
Cuisine: Central African
Sweet potato fritters are very popular in both Malawi and Zambia. It is quick and easy and will do any feast justice. Sweet potato fritters can serve both as a delicious dessert, served with syrup and lemon, or plain as an accompaniment to your main course.
- ½ Kg Sweet potatoes
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Ground cinnamon
- ⅜ Cup Brown sugar
- ⅞ Cup All-purpose flour
- cut the sweet potato into small blocks and place it in a pot with the milk.
- Place the lid on the pot and cook this over medium heat for 15 minutes until the potato is very soft, and almost all of the milk has been absorbed.
- Remove the pot from the heat and mash the sweet potato until smooth.
- Add the salt, cinnamon, brown sugar and flour. Using a wooden paddle, mix this until everything is well combined and you have a soft sticky dough.
- Fill your pan with oil to a depth of 1 inch or 25mm and heat this to 180c or 350f.
- Scoop up single tablespoons of the dough and carefully drop them into the oil. Fry the fritters for 2 and a half minutes per side until crisp and golden. Repeat this until all of the batter is used.
- Drain any excess oil on kitchen paper before serving.