How to Bake Sponge Pudding with Pears. Malva Pudding with Pears - Quick and Easy Sponge Pudding Recipe.
Recipe type: Dessert / Pudding
Cuisine: English / South African
Sponge pudding is a quick and easy way to cater for larger groups. The recipe is dead-simple and it can be made ahead of time and re-heated with no hassle. In South Africa, this is called Malva pudding, and it is an all-time favorite.
- 8 x Canned pear halves
- 2 Eggs
- 250ml Cream
- 380ml Evaporated milk
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tsp Baking powder
- 2.5ml Salt
- Slice the canned pears and line the bottoms of the 8 ramekins with the slices.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a jug, combine the cream, evaporated milk and lightly beaten eggs, then pour this into the flour mixture.
- Whisk this until it is smooth. Set the batter aside and allow it to stand for 15 minutes.
- Ladle equal amounts of the batter into each of the 8 ramekins.
- Bake puddings in a preheated oven at 180c or 350f for 45 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. If you like the pudding on the sweeter side, drizzle a little of the pear syrup over each dessert before serving.