How to Make Eggs Benedict with Real Hollandaise Sauce. Eggs Benedict & Hollandaise Sauce Recipe.
Recipe type: Breakfast / Eggs / Sauce
In our last episode we baked a batch of insanely good English muffins. You will need a few of these for this traditional Eggs Benedict with Real Hollandaise Sauce recipe.
For the Hollandaise Sauce
- 4 Egg yolks
- 15ml Fresh lemon juice
- 125g Butter, melted
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 8 Rashers streaky bacon
- 2 English muffins
- 30ml White vinegar
- 4 Eggs
To make the Hollandaise Sauce
- Place the egg yolks and lemon juice in a jug and whisk these until they thicken and increase in volume.
- Transfer this to your double boiler and heat this over medium low heat. Drizzle the melted butter into the egg mixture while whisking continuously.
- Continue to whisk until the sauce reaches a custard consistency. Remove this from the heat, stir in a pinch of cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt, then keep this warm on the side.
If you don't have a double boiler, please follow these steps:
- Whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice, then transfer this to a stainless steel bowl.
- Pour an inch of boiling water into a pot and heat this over medium low heat. Place the stainless bowl on top of the pot - The bowl must not touch the water.
- Continue as per above.
For the Rest of the Ingredients
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat and fry the bacon until it takes on color. Remove the bacon from the pan and keep it warm.
- Slice the muffins in half and place them face down in the bacon fat. Fry these until they are crisp and golden and warmed through.
- Wipe the pan out carefully with kitchen paper, then half fill the pan with boiling kettle water, then pour in the vinegar.
- Crack the eggs carefully into the water and allow them to poach for 3 minutes.... the whites will be cooked, and the yolks will still be soft. Arrange the muffins on platters, top the muffins with 2 rashers of bacon each, top the bacon with the eggs, then top the whole lot with the Hollandaise sauce.
- Season with salt and cracked black pepper and serve immediately.