How to Make English Muffins. Light & Fluffy Inside, Crispy Outside - Best English Muffin Recipe.
Recipe type: Bread, Dough
A great English muffins requires a rich dough with excellent rising properties. This recipes give you a fantastically light and fluffy inside and crispy outside, with tons of flavor.
- 4½ Cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ Full cream milk
- 45g Butter
- 1¾ Tsp Kosher salt
- 1 Tbs Sugar
- 1 Large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tsp Baking soda
- 2 Tsp Dry yeast
- Cornmeal for dusting
- Place the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda and yeast in the bowl of your food processor or stand mixer.
- Warm the milk and butter together until the butter melts, then whisk in the egg.
- Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and run the processor or mixer until a dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured work surface and dust the top of the dough with flour as well.
- Knead the dough for 2 minutes, sprinkling with extra flour whenever it gets too sticky.
- Roll the dough out to a thickness of 1 inch or 25mm and using a cookie cutter, press out the muffins. Re-roll the off-cuts and continue pressing out muffins until all the dough is used. This recipe will make 12 to 14 muffins.
- Dust a large baking sheet with cornmeal, transfer the muffins to the sheet, then dust the tops of the muffins with cornmeal.
- Cover the muffins lightly with cling wrap and allow them to rise for 20 minutes in a warm place.
- Heat a heavy based pan over medium heat and cook the muffins for 3 to 5 minutes per side until browned and crisp.
- Return the muffins to the baking sheet and bake them in a preheated oven at 170c or 325f for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks. The muffins will keep for up to 2 weeks stored in an airtight container.