Grissini - Italian Bread Sticks. How to make Crispy Italian Grissini Bread Sticks.
Recipe type: Bread
This simple recipe video will chow you how to make traditional Italian Grissini bread sticks. These are served at the beginning of a meal with antipasta, soup or the entre'. This quick and easy Grissini - Italian bread sticks recipe makes 32 grissini.
- 475g Strong white flour
- 1½ Tsp sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1¼ Tsp Dried yeast
- 3 Tbs Olive oil
- 275ml Water
- 50ml Unhulled sesame seeds
- 20ml Fennel seeds
- 1 Egg yolk lightly beaten with 15ml water
- Salt flakes to season
- Add the flour, sugar, salt and yeast to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the olive oil, then gradually add the water to make a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough back in the bowl, cover with a towel and allow this to rise for 60 minutes.
- Tip the dough out, and knead again for 2 minutes, then divide the dough in half.
- Working with the first half, knead the sesame seeds into the dough until all of the seeds are incorporated and evenly distributed.
- Repeat this with the second half of the dough using the fennel seeds.
- Roll one half into a sausage and cut this into 4. Roll each of these into a sausage and divide these into 4. Repeat this with the second half of dough.
- Roll each of the 32 pieces into a thin rope of 25cm or 10 inches long.
- Transfer these to lightly grease baking sheets, cover loosely with cling film and allow the grissini to rise again for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the grissini and brush with egg yolk mix, then sprinkle lightly with salt flakes.
- Bake the grissini in a preheated oven at 200c or 400f for 6 to 8 minutes, until lightly golden and crispy.
- Remove the grissini from the oven and transfer them to wire racks to cool.