Skate Wing Mousse. Superb Seafood Mousse Recipe using Skate Wing Meat.
Recipe type: Seafood / Fish
Skate wing is one of the most under-rated seafoods. Its superb texture and amazing flavor lends it perfectly to to making the most incredible seafood mousse. This recipe is a catering lifesaver as it can be prepared way ahead of time provided it is refrigerated.
- 4 Cups / 1kg Skate wing meat, cooked and chopped
- ½ Cup onion, chopped
- ½ Cup Tangy mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup Tomato sauce
- ¼ Cup Pickled gherkin, chopped
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1½ Tbs Gelatin
- ¼ Cup Cold water
- 1½ cups Boiling chicken stock
To cook the skate wings
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and add 30g butter. When the butter starts to bubble, add the skate wings. Fry these for 3-4 minutes per side, then remove from the pan.
- Flake the meat from the center bone and chop the meat into small pieces.
Prepare the gelatin
- Mix the gelatin with the cold water, then pour it into the hot stock. Stir until this had dissolved, then place it in your refrigerator to chill.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the chopped skate wing with the onion, pickled gherkin, tomato sauce and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper and mix this all together.
- When the gelatin mixture is about to set, pour this into the bowl and mix it in thoroughly.
- To mold the mousse you will need 8 by 125ml ramekins. Dip a ramekin in water, place a lemon slice into the ramekin, then proceed to fill the ramekin with the mousse, almost to the top.
- Continue this process until all 8 ramekins are filled. Place these in your refrigerator for 3 hours until well set.
- To serve the mousse, stand the ramekin in hot water for 15 to 20 seconds, lift the ramekin and dry the base, then turn the mousse out onto the serving platter.
- Garnish with a little dill and serve immediately.