Deep-Fried Jalapeño Chilli Poppers - Chillies Rellenos. Stuffed Jalapeños Deep Fried in Batter.
Recipe type: Starter / Entre / Snack / Cocktail / Accompaniment
Deep-fried Jalapeño Chilli Poppers stuffed with cheese make a perfect cocktail snack, entre or accompaniment to a main meal. The chillies can be stuffed with anything from spiced pork to cream cheese. I have used processed cheese spread. You can use pickled jalapenos or fresh.
For the Batter (makes enough for 24 chilli poppers)
- 150g All purpose flour
- 75ml Tapioca flour
- 7.5ml Baking powder
- 235ml Water
- 2.5ml Salt
- 30ml Oil
- 24 Pickled or fresh jalapeno peppers
- 240ml Processed cheese spread
- Add the flour, tapioca flour and baking powder to a large mixing bowl. Add the water and whisk this until smooth. Put this aside for 30 minutes to rest.
- While the batter rests, slice one side of each chilli open along the length and scrape the seeds out.
- Measure out the filling, in this case processed cheese spread. If it is a bit stiff, warm it in your microwave to soften it.
- Load the filling into your piping bag, or icing gun and inject about 2 teaspoons of the cheese into each chilli. Use your finger to wipe away any excess.
- To finish off the batter, pour in the oil and salt and whisk these in thoroughly until well combined.
- Fill your wok or pan with oil to a depth of 1 inch or 25mm and heat this to 190c or 375f.
- Dip the cillis in the batter to coat, then carefully drop them into the oil in batches of 6. Fry these for 3 minutes per side then remove and drain on paper towel. Repeat until all of the chillis are fried.
- Transfer to platters and serve immediately.