Chinese Sweet & Piquant Chicken. Hunan-Style Fried Chicken with a Piquant Glaze.
Recipe type: Chicken / Poultry
Hunan-Style Fried Chicken with a Piquant Glaze. This recipe is really simple and has very few ingredients, yet it is one of the tastiest dishes around. Thinly sliced chicken breast is shallow-fried until crispy and golden, then glazed with and beautifully glossy and tasty Hunan-style sauce.
- 2 Chicken Breasts, skin off, deboned
- 1 Egg lightly beaten
- 30ml Tapioca flour (can substitute corn flour)
- 2.5ml Salt
For the Sauce
- 30ml Caster sugar
- 20ml Rice wine vinegar or regular white wine vinegar
- 15ml Soy sauce
- ½ Red pepper, cut into strips
- ½ Yellow pepper cut into strips
- Slice the chicken breasts across the grain into slices 3mm / ⅛ inch thick. Place them in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the egg, salt and tapioca flour together until smooth then mix it into the chicken.
- In a jug jug, whisk together the caster sugar, vinegar and soy sauce until all of the sugar is dissolved.
- Slice the peppers into strips.
- Pour oil into your wok to a depth of 1 inch / 25mm, and heat it over high heat.
- Add the peppers and fry for 3-4 minutes until they start to brown on the edges. Remove them with a slotted spoon.
- Add half of the chicken and fry this for 3 minutes until crisp and golden. remove this with a slotted spoon and repeat with the balance of the chicken.
- Drain the wok, return it to the heat and return the chicken and the peppers to the wok. Mix briefly to combine, then pour in the sauce.
- Stir this for 0 seconds until the sauce has thickened and glazed everything.
- Serve immediately with the accompaniments of your choice.