How to Make Mandarin Pancakes. Authentic Mandarin pancake recipe - quick and easy at home.
Recipe type: Breads and Dough / Chinese Pancakes
Mandarin pancakes are traditionally served with duck, but they are great with anything. Slightly chewy, infused with the flavor of roasted sesame, Mandarin pancakes are quick and easy to make at home.
- 450g Strong white flour
- 300ml Boiling water
- 5ml Vegetable oil
- Roasted Sesame oil for brushing
- To start, place the flour in a large mixing bowl, make a well in the center and pour in the boiling water and the oil.
- Using a wooden paddle stir until the water is absorbed. Using your hands, knead the dough in the bowl until it comes together as a single mass.
- Cover the bowl with a damp tea towel, or a plate and allow this to stand for 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface and knead for 8 minutes until the dough is very smooth and elastic. Do not add extra flour during this process..... any stick will subside as you knead.
- Roll the dough into a sausage and divide this in 3. Roll each third into s sausage and divide each one into 8 pieces..... giving you a total of 24 pcs.
- Take 2 pieces, roll them into balls, then flatten them into discs 70mm or just less then 3 inches in diameter. Brush one disc with a light coating of roasted sesame oil, then place the other disc on top of this.
- Using your rolling pin, roll this out to a diameter of 150mm, or 6 inches.Repeat this until all 12 pairs are done.
- Heat your pan over medium high heat and dryfry the pancakes for 60 seconds per side..... they will be spotted.... if they spots are too dark your pan is too hot.... if too light, too cold.
- As the second pancake completes cooking, the first pancake will be cool enough to separate. Gently peel the halves away from one another.
- Repeat until all of the pairs are cooked - serve immediately.
- These can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator, and also freeze quite well using cling wrap to separate the pancakes.