Greek Style Whole Stuffed Fish. Whole baked fish, stuffed with feta, olives, lemon zest and chives.
Recipe type: Seafood / Fish
Cuisine: Mediterranean / Greek
Greek / Mediterranean style baked fish stuffed with feta, olives, chives and lemon zest is really easy to do and will have your guests applauding. Succulent whole fish infused with the flavors of Greece.
- 1 x 500g Red Snapper, Red Roman or any tall body fish
- 8 Calamata olives, pitted and cut into rounds
- 70g Feta cheese
- 3 Tbs Chives finely chopped
- 3 Tbs Lemon zest
- 1 Tbs Olive oil
- Melted butter to baste
- Have your fishmonger gut, scale and defin the fish, then butterfly the fish, including the head.
- Place the feta in a bowl and pour the olive oil over the cheese. Using a fork, mash the feta until the oil has been absorbed.
- Add the olives, chives and zest and mix this in.
- Open the fish and spoon the feta mixture into the fish keeping everything closer to the dorsal side.
- Close the fish and press it firmly down to compress the filling.
- Using butchers twine, tie the fish closed, taking care not to tie too tightly as this will cause the fish to tear while cooking.
- Brush the fish liberally with melted butter.
- Bake the fish in a preheated oven at 180c / 350f for 20 minutes. Remove the fish and baste again with the butter in the pan.
- Return the fish to the oven and bake for a further 15 minute.
- Remove the fish from the oven, cut and remove the twine, and serve immediately.