Hunan Crispy Fried Beef. Tender strips of rump, crisp fried and glazed with a piquant sauce.
Recipe type: Beef / Rump
Cuisine: Chinese / Hunan
Hunan crispy fried beef is a classic Chinese beef dish. Lightly coated in a tapioca batter, the beef is crisp fried then stir-fried in a piquant Hunan sauce of soy, vinegar and sugar. The result is a beautiful crispy tender dish glazed in a rich, flavorful sauce.
- 450g Rump steak
For the coating
- 2 Eggs
- 2.5ml / ½ tsp Salt
- 60ml / 4 Tbs Tapioca flour
- 2 Medium carrots cut julienne
- 3 Spring onions, white only, cut into rounds
- 1 Clove garlic, finely chopped
For the sauce
- 60ml / 4 Tbs Caster sugar
- 45ml / 3 Tbs White wine vinegar
- 30ml / 2 Tbs Light soy sauce
- Cut the beef into strips across the grain (5mm x 5mm x 50mm) (1/4in x ¼in x 2in)
- In a jug, combine the eggs, tapioca flour and the salt. Whisk until everything is combined.
- Place the steak in a large mixing bowl and add the egg batter. Mix this until everything is well coated.
- Cut the carrots, spring onions, garlic and measure out the chilli sauce.
- In a jug combine the caster sugar, vinegar and light soy sauce. Mix this until all of the sugar has dissolved.
- Fill your wok ⅓rd full with oil and heat this to 190c / 375f.
- Fry half of the beef for 3 minutes, until crisp and browned. Add the beef to the oil piece by piece or it will clump together.
- Remove the beef with a slotted spoon, then continue with the rest of the beef.
- Deep fry the carrots for 2 minutes until they start taking on some color. Remove these with a slotted spoon and add them to the fried beef.
- In your second wok, heat 2 tablespoons of oil until smoking hot. Add the spring onions, garlic and chilli sauce. Stir these for 15 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the beef and carrots to the wok and stir to combine.
- Pour in the sauce and continue to stir this for 3 minutes until the sauce thickens and glazes all of the ingredients.
- Remove the wok from the heat and serve immediately.