Traditional Creme Brulee Recipe. Baked cream custard topped with caramelized sugar.
Recipe type: Dessert
How to make creme brulee. Creme brulee is one of the most well known and loved French desserts. It is remarkably easy to make following the step by step demonstration.
- 500ml Cream
- 200ml Milk
- 125g Caster sugar
- 2.5ml Pure vanilla extract
- 5 Egg yolks
- 1 Egg white
- 15ml / 1 Tbs Orange flower water
- Fine white sugar for topping
- Pour the cream, milk and half of the sugar into a saucepan and heat this over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, the egg yolk and the remaining sugar. Whisk until the sugar is totally dissolved.
- Stir in the orange flower water.
- As the milk and cream comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and pour it into the egg mixture, whisking continuously as you do so.
- Place 6-8 ramekins in a large roasting tin. Ladle the custard mixture into the ramekins.
- Pour boiling water into the roasting pan until it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake the custards in a preheated oven at 120c / 235f for 90 minutes and the centers of the custards have set.
- Remove the custards from the oven and place the ramekins on a rack to cool.
- Cover each ramekin with cling wrap before refrigerating. The custards can be refrigerated for up to a week, provided they are sealed air-tight with cling wrap.
- To serve the creme brulee, sprinkle a little fine sugar over the tops of the custards.
- Using your blow torch, caramelize the sugar over the tops and serve immediately.