Chinese Mock Duck
Recipe type: Vegetarian / Vegan
Gluten, as protien replacement, is a large part of the Chinese vegetarian and vegan diet. This demonstration will show you how to extract pure gluten protien from bread flour, and exactly how to prepare a wonderful meal using the gluten. This recipe is a tasty treat, and everyone should try this at least once in their lives. Although is is a little time-consuming, this recipe is very simple if you follow our step-by-step guide.
To make the gluten
- 1kg All-purpose bread flour (strong bread flour)
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 550ml Warm water
To coat the gluten
- ⅓ Cup Tapioca flour (can substitute cornflour)
- Oil for frying
- 1 Green Pepper, cut into short strips
For the sauce
- 100ml Vegetable stock
- 2 Tbs / 30ml light soy sauce
- 2 Tsp / 10ml Rice wine
- 1 Tsp / 5ml Soft brown sugar
- ½ Tbs / 7.5ml Tapioca flour dissolved in a little water
To make the gluten
- Combine the all-purpose flour and salt in a mixing bowl and pour in the warm water.
- Mix this together with a wooden paddle until a dough starts to come together.
- Using your hands compress the dough together until all of the flour combines into a single mass.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface and knead the dough for 5 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough back into the bowl, cover with a damp tea towle and allow this to rest for 60 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl. Wash the dough under cold running water, pressing, squeezing and pulling the dough as you do this.
- Continue this action for about 5 minutes until the water runs clear, and you have about 300g of spongy gluten.
- Squeeze as much water from the gluten as possible, then place this on a platter while you prepare the rest o the ingredients.
The other ingredients
- Combine the stock, soy sauce, rice wine and sugar in a jug, and stir this until the sugar is totally dissolved.
- Cut the pepper in to short strips.
- Mix the ½ tablespoon of tapioca flour with a little water.
- Measure ⅓ cup tapioca flour into a bowl.
- Place the gluten on a cutting board, roll it into a sausage shape and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Dredge the gluten pieces in the tapioca flour, place them on a platter - dont allow them to touch, they will stick together.
- Heat your wok to smoking hot, add 30ml of oil and fry the gluten in batches until golden brown. Remove from the wok and continue until all of the gluten is cooked. Add a little more oil between batches if necessary.
- Add the green pepper to the wok and fry for 3 minutes until the edges are starting to brown.
- Add the sauce mixture to the wok and bring this to a boil.
- Return all of the gluten to the wok and toss this until everything is coated with the sauce.
- Pout in the tapioca slurry and continue to stir-fry for 60 seconds, and the sauce is thick and glossy.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to platters and serve immediately.