Chicken Cordon Bleu. Crispy crumbed chicken stuffed with ham and cheese.
Recipe type: Chicken / Poultry
Chicken Cordon Bleu is an all-time favorite. It is quick and simple to make, and if you use a good quality ham and cheese, it is packed with flavor. The recipe for the gourmet cheese sauce is in our next video.
- 2 x Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Slices hickory ham
- 30g Grated mature cheddar mixed with 30g grated mozarella
- ½ Cup finely crushed corn flakes mixed with ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ Cup Tapioca flour (can substitute cornflour)
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g Butter
- Roll out 40cm / 6 inches of cling wrap.
- Place one of the breasts in the center of the plastic, fold the plastic over.
- Using your meat mallet, tap the breast down until it is 6mm / ¼ inch thick.
- Repeat this with the second breast.
- Trim the slices of ham so that they are just slightly smaller than the chicken breasts.
- Place the hams slices on top of the breasts and top each with half of the cheese.
- Fold the chicken over to enclose the ham and cheese.
- Dredge the breasts in the tapioca flour making sure to get a good coating all over - especially the edges.
- Dredge the breasts in the egg, making sure to wet all of the tapioca flour.
- Dredge the breasts in the cornflake mixture to get a good thick coating.
- Transfer the coated breasts to a platter and allow the coating to set for 20 minutes.
- Heat your pan over medium heat and add the butter.
- When the butter starts to bubble, carefully slide the breasts into the pan.
- Fry the breasts for 4 minutes per side, then balance them on the fat edge and fry for a further minute.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and serve immediately with our gourmet cheese sauce and the accompaniments of your choice.