Tempura Vegetables with Mushroom Lollipops and Fried Onion Rings. The best crispy tempura batter recipe!
Cuisine: Chinese / Eastern
This fantastic batter recipe does it all --- no soda water, no beer -- just they way it is. Make vegetable tempura, prawn tempura, mushroom lollipops, and the best crispy deep-fried onion rings ever. The batter results in a beautifully light golden crispy coating, that maintains its crisp for longer than other batter types.
- ½ Red pepper, yellow pepper, green pepper sliced into strips
- 6 Button mushrooms
- 1 Medium onion cut into rings
For the batter
- 150g All-purpose flour
- 75ml Tapioca flour
- 7.5ml Baking powder
- 235ml Water
- 2.5ml Salt
- 30ml Oil
- Oil for frying
- Sift the flour, tapioca flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the water and whisk to a smooth batter.
- Allow this to stand for 20 minutes.
- While the batter stands, cut the peppers, onions and skewer the mushrooms.
- Half fill your pan with oil and heat to 180c or 350f.
- Just before using the batter, add the oil and salt and whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Drag the mushrooms through the batter to coat entirely and carefully drop them into the oil. Do the same with the onion rings.
- Fry these for 3 minutes, turning half-way through.
- Repeat this process with the peppers or other veg of your choice.
- Drain everything on kitchen paper, then transfer to serving platters.
- Serve with the dipping sauces of your choice.