Recipe type: Seafood / Fish
Crispy fried fish in batter. Fish fried in batter is only as good as the batter recipe. This batter recipe is foolproof, and will give you a light, puffy and crispy batter coating that compliments the flavor and texture of the fish.
For the batter
- 150g All purpose flour
- 75ml Tapioca flour (can substitute cornflour)
- 7.5ml Baking powder
- 235ml Water
- 2.5ml Salt
- 30ml Oil
- 2 x 250g White fish
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Sift the flours and the baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the water and mix this to a smooth batter. Allow this to stand for 30 minutes.
- While the batter stands, pat the fish dry with kitchen paper, then season liberally with lemon pepper, and season to taste with salt.
- Add the salt and oil to the batter and whisk this in until totally combined.
- Half-fill your pan with oil and heat this to 180c or 350f.
- Drag the fish through the batter to get a good coating all over, then carefully lower the fish into the oil.
- Fry the fish for 3 minutes per side. Remove the fish and drain any excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and the accompaniments of your choice.