Crisp Fried Skate Wings. Crumbed skate wings fried in butter, topped with lemon caper butter.
Recipe type: Seafood
Skate is undoubtedly one of the most under-rated seafoods out there. In this recipe the skate wings are coated with a milled cornflake mixture, then pan-fried to crisp perfection, and served with a nutty brown butter lemon caper sauce. Crisp fried skate wings with lemon caper sauce.
- 2 x 300g Skate wings, skinned
- 1 Cup powdered corn flakes
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- ½ Cup Tapioca flour (or cornflour)
- 2 Eggs lightly beaten
- 100g Butter
- 30ml Lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs Pickled capers
- 2 Tbs Spring onion greens, finely chopped
- In a bowl, combine the powdered corn flakes and all-purpose flour.
- Pat the wings dry with kitchen paper, drench them in the tapioca flour, then the egg, then the corn flake mix. Make sure to press the crumb into the flesh to get a good solid coating.
- Transfer the coated wings to a platter and allow the coating to set for 20 minutes.
- Heat your pan over medium high heat, add the butter and fry the wings for 5 minutes per side, then another 60 seconds per side.
- Finally, stand the wings up on the thick side and fry for 60 seconds before removing from the pan.
- Add the capers, spring onion greens, lemon juice and zest to the pan and fry for 15 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the wings to serving platters, top with the lemon caper sauce and serve with the accompaniments of your choice.