Beef Peppers with Black Bean Sauce
Recipe type: Beef / Steak
The deep flavors and aroma of beef peppers with black bean sauce make this dish a real winner. You can use fillet, ribeye or rump in this masterpiece.
- 700g Fillet, ribeye or rump steak
For the marinade
- 15ml / 1 Tbs light soy sauce
- 15ml Rice wine or dry sherry
- 5ml / 1 Tsp Roasted sesame oil
- 5ml / 1 Tsp Tapioca flour
- 50ml Oil
For the Sauce
- 1 Tbs Garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ Tbs Ginger, finely chopped
- 30g Spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs Fermented black beans, roughly chopped
- 1 Green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 Red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 Yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 10ml / 2 Tsp Light soy sauce
- 15ml / 1 Tbs Rice wine or dry sherry
- 5ml / 1 Tsp Sugar
- 40ml Chicken stock
- 5ml / 1 Tsp Sesame oil
- 15ml / 1 Tbs Tapioca flour
- 200ml oil
To prepare and marinate the beef
- Cut the beef into thin strips, across the grain
- Place the beef into a large mixing bowl, and add all of the marinade ingredients, except for the oil.
- Allow this to marinate for at least 30 minutes, then mix in the 50ml oil.
To make the sauce
- Finely chop the garlic, ginger and spring onion.
- Rinse and roughly chop the fermented black beans.
- Cut the peppers into thin strips.
- In a jug, combine the light soy, rice wine or sherry, sugar, chicken stock, sesame oil and tapioca flour. Stir until everything has dissolve.
- Heat your wok over high heat, add the 200ml oil and fry ⅓ of the beef for 0 seconds. Remove the beef from the wok using your slotted spoon, and repeat twice with the remaining beef.
- Carefully pour the oil from the wok, leaving just a tablespoon behind.
- Add the garlic, ginger and black beans and fry for 5 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the spring onion and continue to fry for 5 seconds.
- Add the peppers and continue to fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the wet sauce ingredients, stir this in briefly, then return the beef to the pan.
- Fry this for 60 seconds until the sauce has thickened and glazed all of the ingredients.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.