Sherry Apple Pie Fillo Baskets
Recipe type: Dessert
Apple slices fried to tender perfection in sherry, presented in flamboyant, crispy fillo baskets. This cooking video will show you how to make the sherry apple filling and the fancy fillo / filo / phyllo pastry baskets.
- 6 Medium Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and sliced thinly
- 100ml (4oz) Medium cream sherry
- 100g (4oz) Seedless raisins
- 6 Sheets fillo pastry, cut into quarters
- Cream to garnish, plain or whipped
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 50g (2oz) Butter
For the Filling
- Heat your pan over medium heat, add the raisins and sherry.
- Heat these until they start to steam, then transfer them to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan, along with the apple slices. Fry these for 5 minutes.
- Return the raisins and sherry to the pan, and continue to fry for a further 5 minutes until the juices are a glossy syrup.
- Remove from the heat. Keep warm if you intend using immediately, other wise store in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to a week.
For the Baskets
- Lightly oil each piece of fillo by dripping a little oil on each and spreading it by hand.
- Press one piece of fillo into one of the recesses of your muffin pan.
- Press another piece into the recess on top of this, at 90 degrees to the first one.
- Continue to do this until all of the recesses are filled.
- Bake the baskets in a preheated oven at 160c / 310f for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oven.
- Spoon a little of the apple into each basket, top with a little cream and serve hot or cold.