Crisp Deep-Fried Calamari Rings
Recipe type: Seafood
The secret to crispy deep-fried calamari is in the coating. This recipe fr deep-fried calamari rings is quick and easy, and our step-by-step video demonstration will ensure your success!
- 500g Calamari rings
- ⅔ Cup Corn Flake crumbs
- 2 Cups strong flour
- 1 Tbs Salt
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 2 Tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 Tsp Garlic powder
- 1 Cup cornflour
- 2-3 Eggs lightly beaten
- Lemon wedges to garnish
- Oil for frying
For the Coating
- Combine the corn flake crumbs, flour, salt, sugar, cayenne and garlic powder in a large bowl
- Measure a cup of cornflour into another bowl
- Lightly beat 2-3 eggs in a third bowl
To Coat the Rings
- Working with a few rings at a time, drench the rings in the cornflour
- Dip the rings in the egg, and then drop them into the coating mixture
- Shake them around until they are coated, then transfer them to a flat platter. Make sure the rings are not touching.
- Repeat until all of the rings are coated.
- Allow the rings to stand for at least 20 minutes before proceeding
- Half-fill your frying pan with oil. Heat the oil to 180c / 350f
- Using a skewer, scoop the rings up one by one and lower them into the oil. Repeat until the surface area of the pan is covered with rings.
- Fry the rings for 90 seconds per side, then remove and drain on kitchen towel.
- Repeat with the remaining rings
- Arrange the calamari on platters, garnish with the lemon wedges and serve with the accompaniments of your choice