Traditional French Chicken Liver Pate'
This is the original and traditional French country recipe for chicken liver pate'. Our step-by-step video demonstration will show you how to make this creamy chicken liver pate'.
- 500g Chicken livers
- 80ml Brandy
- 90g Unsalted butter
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Fresh chopped thyme
- 60ml Cream
- Trim away the sinew, fat and discolored parts of the livers, and cut each half liver into 2
- Place the livers into a mixing bowl and mix in the brandy. Allow the livers to marinate in the refrigerator for 2-5 hours
- Chop the onion, garlic and thyme.
- Measure out the butter in 2 lots of 45g
- Measure out the cream
To cook the livers
- Heat your pan over medium low heat. Add the onions and garlic. Simmer these for 5 minutes until soft and translucent
- Drain the livers retaining the brandy
- Add the livers and the thyme to the pan and simmer for a further 5 minutes
- Pour in the reserved brandy and continue simmering for another 2 minutes
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes
- Transfer the livers to a heatproof bowl or pot and blend them until smooth using your stick blender (You can do this in a processor)
- Add the butter and blend again until the butter is incorporated and the mixture is smooth
- Pour in the cream and stir it by hand until totally incorporated
- Pour the pate into ceramic dishes, cover with cling-wrap and allow it to set in your refrigerator for 2-3 hours
- If you plan to keep the pate for longer than a couple of days, melt some clarified butter and pour it over the pate' to seal it.